Tortillas are Mexican Flatbread, made out of maize flour /Cornmeal[makai ka aata] . Maize flour should not be confused with cornflour[corn starch]. Tortilla chips are made by deep frying or baking the tortillas. This was first time for me in making or eating them, so deep frying appealed to me more. I loved them and am surely going to snack on them again, so would try the healthier bake option from next time.
I was looking for a recipe which was from scratch and I found it at Tarla Dalal. I have modified the recipe to add some additional herbs and spices for more flavour.
1 and 1/4 cups maize flour
3/4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp oil
1/2 cumin seeds [optional]
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 and 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead a soft dough by adding warm water.
- Divide the dough into small lemon size portions.
- Roll out each portion thinly to a round shape. Dust with flour as you roll them . Prick all over with a fork. If it is uneven, trim the ends.
- Cook lightly on both sides on a hot griddle. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Cut into small triangles and deep fry in oil until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Serve with salsa or dips.